Saturday, July 3, 2010

Gotta have 'em!

So I was shopping at my friendly local Barnes and Noble yesterday, and found two books that I absolutely must have. I would put them on my Christmas list, but you know I'll have them way before then. While we were at B&N, the skies opened and the rain came, so we had to sit awhile. Didn't mind a bit, I just read some more! LOL

The books are The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques by Jan Eaton, and Crochet - The Complete Guide, by Jane Davis. Oh my gosh, they were both just chock-full of great crocheting methods and techniques. They told beginning information, like how to crochet, and lots of other stuff I don't know how to do, like the fact

what I have always thought was called the afghan stitch is actually Tunisian Crochet. Hmmm! One of them, or maybe both, told how to do other Tunisian Crochet, stitches, did you know there were more than one? Makes sense, but I didn't know it. Maybe because I didn't think of it. Ha ha.
There was also info on how to make different motifs, and edgings, flowers and snowflakes. Man. I think if I master a few of these techniques, I wouldn't have to rely so much on the written pattern for my crocheting. Wouldn't that be cool?
I have loved to crochet for years. A year or so ago, my main crocheting was the ripple afghan. I would make ten or twelve of those things a year, and maybe make something else simple. But I didn't do a lot of variety, and mostly, if not always, I worked with that good old Red Heart yarn you get at Walmart. A few months ago, I decided I wanted to stretch my crocheting skills. I have really been enjoying it, too. I have made a cape for my aunt, slippers (simple, but still, I had never done it before.), a cardigan, a rose block, a little amigurumi octopus, and am now making a round bag, all my attempts to hone my skills. I am finding that I do not like to crochet, I do not love to crochet, I am obsessed with crochet. It has taken over my life. LOL Most of my shopping is related to crochet, whether it be crochet magazines, more and different yarns, more books, whatever. I enjoy it more every day.
Now where's my hook?

2 comments:

Designing Lady Jane said...

Wow, you are obsessed. You're gonna have to change your blog to 'crazycrochetingchick'. LOL. You heard it here first, folks!

crazymotheringchick said...

LOL No, Jane, you just have to read all the crochet posts mixed in with everything else. LMHO